Welcome to iZania, a Black business community created to facilitate the growth of Black-owned businesses and to be an advocate for social issues in the Black community.
MoCADA Needs Interns
Thursday, 20 August 2009
MoCADA 2009-2010 Internship Program
|Program Description |
The MoCADA Internship Program offers students and recent graduates an opportunity to broaden their education and professional experience by learning and working in a non-profit art museum setting. Students will receive the unique and challenging experience of working in a smaller institution where departments overlap. By gaining experience here, interns will be able to take this experience forward into larger, more developed institutions.
MoCADA opened its new, 1,700-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility in the James E. Davis 80 Arts Building in Ft. Greene, Brooklyn in May 2006. The new facility houses innovative exhibitions, as well as educational and outreach programs to the community. MoCADA interns will have the exciting opportunity of working on developing our current and new programming for the 2009-10 school year.
In order to increase diversity in professions related to museums and the arts, the Museum of Contemporary African Diasporan Art seeks diversity in its intern staff and provides equal opportunity to its applicants.
Interns must be undergraduate/graduate/recent graduate with an expressed interest in Arts-related fields (Art History/Arts Administration/Museum Studies/Africana Studies/American Studies/Arts Education/Fine Arts/Film/Graphic Design and other related fields).
Internships are unpaid; however, arrangements can be made for college credit. Interns are required to commit to a minimum of 16 hours per week for a semester period (there may be some weekends and evenings needed on occasion). During this time, interns will complete a target project as well as daily assignments. Interns will participate in staff meetings, special events, and various educational programs.
Every intern will be trained as a docent so they are able to speak knowledgeably about the current exhibition. Interns must be able to work with others and independently, take charge, conduct themselves professionally and be able to interact with public as needed.
CONTACT: KIMBERLI GANT -
Complete and submit two copies of the following:
· Application form
· Letter of recommendation (one)
· School requirements for college credit
Interns will work with the Director of Education on all facets of developing, implementing and executing MoCADA's on-going educational programs.
· 3-4 public programs per exhibition
· Maintain RSVP's for public programs (as needed)
· Organizing guided tours for school groups
· Sending out information to schools
· Conducting guided tours for school groups
· Assist in research for curriculum guide
· Conduct and implement survey evaluations for educational programs
Interns will work with the Director of Exhibitions on all facets of developing, implementing and executing MoCADA's exhibition program comprised of three exhibitions per year.
· Assist in creating budget for the entire exhibition
· Maintain exhibition schedule
· Coordinating loan agreements with exhibiting artists
· Research themes of each exhibition
· Assist in contacting other museums for potential traveling exhibitions
· Organize and maintain artist files
· Organize artist submissions
· Assist Guest Curators
Interns will work with the Director of Development on all facets of grant-writing and fundraising.
· Maintaining grants file
· Researching potential grants
· Developing and maintain funder database
· Maintaining grants calendar (past/current/future)
· Organizing and maintaining government funders
· Coordinate materials for Board of Directors Meetings
Interns will work with Director of PR on all facets of communication about programs, exhibition and special events to the general public.
· Expand and maintain email/mailing press list for listings
· Send weekly press release to all press
· Develop and maintain list of potential advertisers
· Send photos, press materials when requested
· Maintain press file of all MoCADA related articles
· Contact press for all special events
Interns will work with the Executive Director for the following special projects and annual events.
· Soul of Brooklyn (cultural tourism project)
· FAMflix Film Festival & KIDflix Film Festival (August 2010)
· Annual Gala (May 2010)
| || || |
Located at 80 Hanson Place at South Portland in Downtown Brooklyn, near the Brooklyn Academy of Music.
The 2, 3, 4, 5, B, and Q stop at Atlantic Avenue.
The D, M, N, and R stop at Pacific Avenue.
The C stops at Lafayette Avenue.
The G stops at Fulton Street.
$5 for adults, $4 for students (with valid ID) and seniors. Free for children 12 and under.
Hours of operation are Wednesday - Sunday 11am to 7pm