iZania

Go Back   iZania Black Networking Community > Community > Open Discussion
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 31st, 2011, 01:45 PM

Smile Monumentalizing King, Killing Qaddafi: America's Pernicious Paradox

Dr. Maulana Karenga commentary, founder of Kwanzaa telling it like it is.
http://www.us-organization.org/posit...fi10-25-11.pdf
iZania Ads
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Monumentalizing King, Killing Qaddafi: America's Pernicious Paradox

I have been wrestling intellectually with the observation of the paradoxes that Dr. Karanga articulates. What I have come to understand is that all of us must reconcile the multiple paradoxes of citizenship in the USA. We must come to some state of peace with our existence -- including our responsibility to vote, actively advocate our conscious, confront evil and wrongdoing, pursue happiness in our own way, raise our families, acquire wealth, participate in business and commerce, serve in government or the armed services, worship, and cultivate a worldview that recognizes our relationship with others on the planet.

Virtually every position we take is juxtaposed against a paradoxical alternative. If we stay here in the USA, our very existence will be a living breathing paradox. We must find the balance within our own souls that grants peace with our conscience and our fellow man. Surely, none of us has the perfect formula for how this republic should deal with the manifold issues that accompany the richest nation on the planet. In my view, our freedom to challenge every action, and support those which yield the most good for humanity is a choice that we all must make. Frequently, we are faced with no good choices.

Recently, Joe Biden shared a quote: "Don't compare me to the Almighty; compare me to the alternative." This is another variation on the theme of choosing among the lesser of two evils. We often expect the wisdom, justice, and grace of the Almighty from human leaders with a host of faults.

It is the paradox of being human. Most of us don't have the courage of a martyr. So, if we choose to live, it is a life of continual paradoxical choices.

Roger Madison